Are you going on a road trip with your dog this holiday season? If so, Rainbow Veterinary Hospital in Burbank wants you to be ready for our upcoming journey. These tips will help you take a safe and happy trip with your dog.
- Start by taking short trips and then graduate to longer trips. Let your dog get used to riding in your vehicle before taking him or her on a really long car ride.
- Talk to your vet about car sickness medicine, if it’s necessary. You may notice that your dog vomits or seems unhappy after riding in the car. This is a good indication that your dog is affected by car sickness. Talk to your dog’s veterinarian to see if your dog can benefit from motion sickness mediation.
- Look for dog-friendly hotels before starting your journey. Not all hotels will accept guests who have dogs. Call hotels ahead of time to find one that you can stay at with your dog. When you find a hotel, make sure you familiarize yourself with their rules for dogs that stay on their premises. They may have weight limits and other rules that could impact your stay.
- Be sure your dog is wearing tags before you leave. Tags keep your dog safe in the event that he or she is lost.
- Pack your dog’s medicine, toys and travel dishes. If your dog is going to need a medication refill while you’re out of town, speak with your dog’s veterinarian.
- Give your dog regular breaks during long car rides. Let your dog out of the car every time you stop at a gas station or rest stop.
Call Us in Burbank For More Helpful Advice
Call Rainbow Veterinary Hospital in Burbank for more helpful tips and advice. We can tell you the best ways to make sure your dog stays safe in the car, so you can have a fun and enjoyable trip!